Saturday, October 17, 2009

Goodbye my love (for my grandmother)

Lovely, wonderful, courageous, extraordinary
Words that fit you so dearly

Life came hard at you
Love came easy for you
You gave it freely,
Even to those who didn’t matter to you
Death came too easy
To sudden even,
I didn’t even get a chance to say goodbye
To you, the love of my life.

Imagine at age twelve getting the news
Your loved one has gone
Without saying goodbye
Without you having had the chance to say goodbye


It’s better late than never
So I’ll say it to you now

Goodbye my love
I’ll keep you in my heart
Where the memories of you reside
Keeping me from falling apart

Memories of your kisses
Of your sweet potato dishes
Memories of your love and warmth
Your guidance in my life
I feel it even now though you’re soaring among the stars


You wished for me to be here
And here I am totally

I’ll remember the things you use to say
I’ll never forget you
I’ll remember you always
My sweet love

I’ll tell others of you
I’ll tell of the day you flew to heaven
As a glowing white dove.

No comments: